Google My Business (GMB) is a handy free tool offered by Google to manage the business presence on Google, including the search about business and maps. Either an organization or a tiny business, anyone can use this tool to optimize their business.
There are several benefits of a GMB account for any business. Such as:
- You can verify your business. Google My business works as a business directory. A directory where a customer can find every information about your business, i.e., nature of services, address, opening and closing time, etc. The more information a potential customer can find about your business, the more sure you are not just an e-scam. Multi-verifying steps that each business must fulfill also increase the customers’ trust in your credibility. People can post real-time reviews on your website that are another source to get potential customers’ trust. Generally, people tend to prefer the verified business on GMB compared to unlisted businesses.
- Manage your information easily. GMB offers you almost all the tools to manage the information a potential customer might look for when finding your business. It allows you to share your address, maps, nature of product/services, contact information, working hours, news, updates, announcements, offers, and several other things.
- Google My Business lets you get in touch with your customers easily. People can review the product/service or ask a question directly on your GMB page. You can also post your special offers, discounts, photos to make people choose your business.
- You can make posts about what you do. Just like social media posts, you can post photos of your workplace, products, events, et cetera. Businesses that add photos to their listings receive 42% more requests for driving directions on Google Maps and 35% more clicks through to their websites than businesses that don’t.
- Enhance business visibility and business. Presence on Google is like your business card in the e-commerce world. Upon any query about any product or service, the first top three results are the Ads about the searched keywords, followed by local 3-pack listing (top three local businesses listed with Google My Business for the specific keyword), and then organic results. Most of the time, people do not even scroll past the first web page. The first page of Google captures at least 71% of web traffic (some sources say up to 92%), and the second page only gets 6% of the website clicks.
- Boost traffic and revenues. Once listed with GMB, your business also start appearing in ‘Near Me’ searches. Besides online traffic, customers from surroundings also increase. According to Google, by having a Google My Business listing, businesses are 70% more likely to attract local visits from browsing users.
If your business is not listed yet on Google My Business, you are missing all these benefits. Getting started with GMB is a pretty process. The next section covers all step-by-step details of listing your business with Google My Business.
Listing Business on Google My Business (GMB)
Three basic steps are involved in starting with GMB: getting started (claiming or creating business), getting verified, and optimizing the business by setting goals.
1. Getting Started
You can get the GMB listing for your business on your phone as well as from your desktop. To start with the phone, you first have to download the app of GMB available on the Android and the Apple store. Log-in to the app. From the desktop, sign-in to your Gmail account. On the top right, find the Business icon from the Google icons.
Sign-in to the GMB account. If you do not have one, create a new one following the instructions displayed on the screen.
Instead of signing up with a personal e-mail, use the Gmail address with the business domain name.
2. Checking Google Listing
Check the google listing to make sure that your business isn’t already listed. In case it is, instead of listing it again, claim it. If you cannot find the business, you must create it by providing all the required information in the further steps and verifying the information.
In some cases, there can already be an existing business at the location where you want to create a listing. Do not claim this business. Instead, suggest an edit to have it marked as closed and then proceed with creating your business.
After this step, click next.
3. Enter the name of your business, address, and other required information
Add the name of your business. As aforementioned, try to keep the business’s name and the account’s email domain name the same. Click next.
Enter the address of the business. Position the mark on the google map. In case your business does not have a physical store, and you offer services within a specific area, list the area of your services.
There is some information which you can skip, but it is recommended not to do so. More information reflects business transparency.
4. Choose Business Display
There are two options for the display of your business:
- (a) If you serve customers at the business address, add a business address. If you also offer a service area beside the store, list your area too.
- (b) If you do not serve on business address, first add the address and then click on the option of ‘I deliver goods and services to my customers.’
Proceed further by clicking next.
5. Select business category
Search and choose the category of your product or service. You can choose more than one. The more you are specific, the more it will help in displaying your page in search results.
6. Enter URL and official business number
Enter the business number and website where customers can reach you. This website can be the address of your online store or page. In case you do not have any URL, Google will automatically offer you an option to create a free website based on the information you provided.
In this step, you have to verify that you are an authorized person to claim/create/manage this business profile. Review all the information before verification.
You can choose either ‘Verify Now’ or ‘Verify Later.’
To verify your authority, a verification code is sent on one of the following:
- Phone number
- E-mail address
- Via a postcard on the business address
Once the verification step is completed, that’s all. People can find your store and all the information about your business. You can start posting, answering FAQ’s, communicating with customers, responding to reviews, and post updates.
It is better to review the information before verification, but you can also edit the information any time you want. On the homepage of your profile, click on Menu > Info > Edit, make changes and then click on Apply.
8. Optimizing the profile
After verification, the last step is to optimize it. In the dashboards, there are several parameters provided. Suggest edits as per your requirements and fill-out essential information. You choose not to provide the information in this step, but it’ll affect the page’s transparency.
Do your Business needs to be in Google Business Listing?
Yes. Either an organization or a sole proprietorship, every business must be listed with Google My Business. It is the most efficient way to appear in Google Search results and Google Maps and optimize your business traffic and revenues effectively and efficiently.